A Worcester probate attorney can provide assistance with the probate process which has to occur in most situations after a person passes away. Many people during the probate process should have an attorney representing their interests. This can include heirs or beneficiaries, an executor of an estate, and anyone who wishes to contest a will. If you are involved in probate proceedings, you should have a lawyer.
The Law Offices of James A. Miller, P.C. is here and ready to provide the help you need during probate. We have guided many clients through the probate process and we work hard to help executors fulfill their role and heirs or beneficiaries protect their inheritance. If you are getting ready to go through the probate process, we can help.
Preparing to Meet with a Worcester Probate Lawyer
If you are an executor of an estate, if you think you may inherit, or if you believe the wishes of the deceased are not being respected during probate, you should reach out to a probate lawyer to get help. Your attorney can make the probate process easy and will let you know exactly what you need to do at every step of the way. This includes providing you with info on what you need to do before your first meeting with a probate lawyer so you can hit the ground running.
In general, before you meet with a probate lawyer, you may want to:
- Obtain a copy of the deceased person’s last will and testament. You can bring the will with you to meet with an experienced attorney so your lawyer can help you to determine whether the will is going to be considered valid and what responsibilities, if any, have been set forth for you.
- Begin listing estate assets. The executor of an estate eventually must make a full accounting of estate assets, but you may want to start the process so you are prepared to talk with a Worcester probate lawyer about what assets will have to transfer through probate. Knowing the full value of estate assets is also going to be important in determining whether estate tax must be paid on the estate.
- Start assembling deeds, insurance policies, account statements, and other financial information. You are going to need to know exactly what the deceased person owned and will have go to through the formal process of assuming control over the assets during the probate process as well as the process of facilitating the transfer of assets to new owners.
- Make a list of questions. The probate process can be a confusing process and you may have lots of questions about what will be involved during probate. You don’t want to forget any of the questions that you have when you meet with an experienced attorney. If you write down everything that you are hoping to ask, you will be better prepared to talk with your lawyer during your initial meeting.
The Law Offices of James A. Miller, P.C. can provide you with additional information on anything else that you should bring to your first meeting with your lawyer and on other steps you will need to take to go through the probate process.
When Should You Meet with a Worcester Probate Lawyer?
You should meet with a Worcester probate lawyer if you are named as executor of an estate. The executor of an estate has a fiduciary duty to appropriately manage estate assets and must make certain to fulfill that obligation or can be held responsible by heirs or beneficiaries for acting in their own self interest or failing to protect the value of an inheritance.
If you stand to inherit or if you believe that the wishes of the deceased are not accurately reflected because the will is invalid, you should also talk with an experienced attorney. The Law Offices of James A. Miller, P.C. can assist you in protecting your inheritance and making certain that the executor protects the property you should inherit. We also help those who wish to contest a will in making arguments about why the will should not be considered legally valid and enforceable.
Getting Help from A Worcester Probate Lawyer
The Law Offices of James A. Miller, P.C. can provide comprehensive guidance throughout the probate process. Our legal team works hard to ensure that the process of probating a will goes as smoothly and quickly as possible so an executor of an estate can fulfill his obligations and so heirs can inherit. To find out more about the probate process, join us for a free seminar. You can also give us a call at 866-370-3888 or contact us online to get personalized help during the probate process.
Latest posts by Attorney Jim Miller (see all)
- Boston Startups Are Serving the Elderly Population - August 31, 2017
- What is Custodial Care and Why Does it Matter? - August 29, 2017
- Do You Need Asset Protection Attorneys If You’re Not Very Wealthy? - August 24, 2017